Friday 25 January 2013

Is there any place for the truth in writing?


Yes. Well, kind of. It is almost impossible to remove yourself from your own work; feelings and influences will creep their way among the chosen letters of each piece, no matter how hard one tries to eliminate such occurrences. What a person writes tells us a lot about that person, there is some truth there even if it is unintentional. When I say ‘truth’ I mean in terms of the emotion and character of a person, not the factual accuracy of their words. Some have said that John Creever used his work to display his own sexual ambiguity and if so a possibly unspoken truth was found in his writing; if not, and that statement was false, then I can truthfully apologise for my imagination.  
Factual accuracy, even in non-fiction, is never entirely without manipulation. A bias nature is bound to come through and it is up to each of us on how subtle we are when putting our pens to paper.
I believe that every writer starts with their own truths and then decides how much they are willing to unveil to the world.  Truth will always be in writing to some extent, however, even with the noblest of intentions there is unlikely to be a completely honest piece of writing, unless the writer is extremely brave or extremely stupid. Although I seem to have contradicted myself throughout, my overall answer to this question is still:
YES, there is a place for the truth in writing. 

1 comment:

  1. The idea that an author can reveal a truth through their writing without even realising is always interesting to consider. And tends to make me paranoid. Your suggestion regarding completely honest writing was also amusing.

    ReplyDelete