Sunday 20 January 2013

How is it that I became a writer?


Everyone has influences in their lives and our choices are always a product of previous experiences. Each writer will undoubtedly be affected by their surroundings, whether it is their childhood, the society of the time or just the country they called home. Each factor is vital in the development of a writer and their sources of inspiration.
Margaret Atwood, born in 1940, has listed many different factors for her development as a writer. She was born during the war and in a time where the priorities for women were very different to today. Her family, especially her brother, encouraged her to pursue her imagination and the possibilities it may bring. Atwood’s episteme could be a result of the change in style of the writers that inspired her. Her reading, up to the age of sixteen, consisted of three types of books:
1) Books for school study.
2) Acceptable books read openly outside of school.
3) Books suspected of taboo.
These differences in style and subject matter may have formed the foundation for her poetry and other work.
I still feel as though I am yet to be a writer and therefore find it slightly difficult to answer this specific question. I will answer ‘Why do I want to be a writer?’ I have always lived in my own little world and thanks to my experiences in boarding school, where I met some interesting characters, I feel suitably inspired to try my best at a difficult principle. My ideology I have no doubt will adapt over the years, but all I hope is that my work is and remains sufficient enough to please some, and if not, my own satisfaction will have to do. 



1 comment:

  1. Pretty concise, so you get quite a bit into the small wordcount. Still question the formatting a bit, but I'm no expert.

    ReplyDelete